November 25, 2010

Giving Thanks


I would like to see Thanksgiving not be so much about eating, as a day declared for expressing gratitude.....a reminder of the many blessings in our lives. Perhaps, this would open our awareness of the smallest "things".

Right now I am watching my cat sleeping, his long legs stretched out toward me, showing me his sweet pink paw pads. I am about to get up and go into the kitchen where I have a choice of wonderful foods. It's an overcast day outside, but I am warm and comfortable inside with lights and music. A shower of perfectly controlled temperature awaits me. I could go on and on! In fact, happiness depends on the recognition and appreciation of all the good things in our lives.

Yes, this can be a challenge at times, but even in the most dire circumstances, there is always something good, something worthy of our thanks.