July 12, 2008

Making a Difference



Life is sculpted on a moment-to-moment basis. Every one of the thoughts we think, the words we speak, and the actions we take contributes to the complex quality and character of the universe’s unfolding. It simply is not possible to be alive without making an impact on the world that surrounds us. Every action taken affects the whole as greatly as every action not taken. And when it comes to making the world a better place, what we choose not to do can be just as important as what we choose to do.


It is wise to be somewhat selective about how and where we are using our energy in order to keep ourselves from becoming scattered. Not every cause or action is appropriate for every person. When a situation catches our attention, however, and speaks to our heart, it is important that we honor our impulse to help and take the action that feels right for us. It may be offering a kind word to a friend, giving resources to people in need, or just taking responsibility for our own behavior. By doing what we can, when we can, we add positive energy to our world. And sometimes, it may be our one contribution that makes all the difference.

*****

(I have excerpted the above from the Daily OM.) I used to think that I was too busy keeping keeping my own head above water to be of use to anyone else. Then, I discovered the joy in "small action". It was true that I could not manage anything which I then thought of as being significant, but I could take my cart back to the provided rack, I could pick up some wind-blown trash, I could help a turtle with his much too slow journey across the road, and I could give everyone a smile!

The biggest contribution may have been to myself. I found the joy in paying attention, in being in what Eckhart Tolle refers to as The Now. Everything has a beginning, and nothing is ever really "small". Tiny seeds are the beginning of magnificent fruits.