September 2, 2008

It Really Is a Matter of Attitude

We think we're busy, but we're not—we're just doing one thing after another. But the habit of being convinced we're too busy is hard to shake. What can we do about this persistent mania of feeling task- and time-driven?

Understanding something differently is only a beginning. To change the way we live, we have to practice what we've come to understand until it becomes a natural part of us, a habit of thought, feeling, and body.

There are many simple techniques that can help us with this. Take three conscious breaths (try it now, as you're reading). This will change your mind. Whatever you're feeling will become less compulsive, less driven. There's a measure of detachment and equanimity even after the first breath. You become more present to your surroundings, to the basic awareness of being alive. Try it the next time you're feeling overwhelmed; it doesn't take much time, and it will help you remember the part of you that's always right there, even when it looks or feels like you're too busy.

******

Sometimes I catch myself walking fast, with that "don't bother me now" look on my face. I have a lot to do. Important things. There are people depending on me. I am important. Ah...it's only the self-importance of the ego. I take note, and relax.