March 16, 2009

What Do We Need?

Maslow talks about the hierarchy of needs, and I would never want to argue the fact that it just as easy to be happy if one is sick, cold, and homeless as it is when one is healthy, and comfortable. Still, our ideas about the necessities of existence are skewed.

I amazed myself by how gloriously happy I became as I sat for days and days writing the class I am currently teaching: The Vision Board: Gratitude. The weather was cold and skies were dark. My back hurt from all the sitting. And, yet, I found myself gloriously, inexplicably happy! In writing about gratitude, I had ceased giving lip service to it and had started feeling grateful from deep within. Just like the feeling of love, it's an entirely different thing to say the words, read the words....than it is to feel the emotion. And, in order to have that "aha!" experience and to be changed, even for a moment or a day, feel we must.

When I started this blog, I did so as service. I thought by sharing what great thinkers had said and written, I could help bring about changes which would make you, the reader of my blog, happier. As your numbers did not grow....in spite of my beautiful photos and wisdom quotes :-) I started thinking about the why of it. I think I understand it now. You just are not going to feel any better by reading what I'm writing. You aren't going to feel it by reading ANY books. You are going to have to DO it.....DO the loving of yourself, DO the loving of others, and DO the thanking for the very breath you are able to take.

So, I am considering giving up on this blog. Instead, I will see if I can teach the "doing" of it...or, at least see if anyone wants to learn. We'll see what the outcome of my class is.